InCharge Debt Solutions Review for 2023
InCharge Debt Solutions has over 2,000 TrustPilot reviews with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars, but then they also have a rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars on Yelp and 3.4 out of 5 stars on Investopedia. These are all reputable sources to check reviews about a company. Additionally, InCharge Debt Solutions’ BBB rating is A+. However, “an Alert” is listed for the business at the BBB, which could mean the BBB is re-evaluating its A+ rating or accreditation eligibility due to complaints. All in all, InCharge debt solutions has mixed reviews online, so what’s the truth? If you follow the road with the facts, you’ll usually end up at the truth. So, let’s start by exploring the facts about this company and I think you’ll be surprised at what we found out.
Creating a solid financial future can be challenging when debt keeps piling up. Many people are still rebounding after COVID-19’s effects, and rising interest rates. For those earning between $43,350 and $130,000, debt could be causing severe financial stress. Millions of Americans are searching for a debt solution.
Several debt relief programs are available, including debt consolidation, debt settlement, debt validation, and consumer credit counseling. Unfortunately, many consumers don’t know the differences between these options. Knowing all the facts about each organization and clearly understanding how the program works compared to the other debt relief options available is essential before you move forward.
To help you evaluate the InCharge Debt Solutions debt settlement program, we researched and gathered information about their certifications and accreditations, details about costs and fees, pros and cons to consider, and frequently asked questions about credit card debt relief. Additionally, we share ratings and reviews about overall customer satisfaction that our team at NoMoreCreditCards.com uncovered while doing extensive research about the company.
Is InCharge Debt Solutions a legitimate company?
Yes. InCharge Debt Solutions is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that offers debt management programs (DMP), also known as a consumer credit counseling program (CCCP). A DMP works directly with most credit card companies to reduce interest rates. Consumers get a single consolidated monthly payment and usually become debt-free in five years or less.
- Address: 5750 Major Blvd, Suite 300, Orlando, FL 32819
- Website: https://www.incharge.org
- Customer service: 1-866-721-3925
- For questions about your account: 1-888-734-6229
- To speak with a housing counselor: 1-877-712-6040
- To speak with a bankruptcy counselor: 1-866-729-0049
Is InCharge Debt Solutions Licensed?
InCharge Debt Solutions is a licensed and approved 501(c)(3) nonprofit credit counseling agency.
For a list of licensed credit counseling agencies by state, go to the DOJ website at: https://www.justice.gov/ust/list-credit-counseling-agencies-approved-pursuant-11-usc-111.
Below are some additional licenses InCharge Debt Solutions holds in different states.
- Approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in the Florida housing market
- Licensed debt management service provider in Mississippi
- Licensed by the Department of Banking, Insurance, Securities, and Health Care Administration in Vermont
- Licensed by the Virginia State Corporation Commission in Virginia
- Licensed by the New York State Department of Financial Services
- Licensed in Maryland, Michigan, and Oregon
Where is the InCharge Debt Solutions program Available?
InCharge Debt Solutions is licensed in Florida, Mississippi, Vermont, Virginia, New York, Michigan, and Oregon. The organization does not lend money to Illinois and Indiana residents and lists additional guidance and details for other states on its state disclosures page.
InCharge Debt Solutions Certifications and Accreditations
InCharge Debt Solutions is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA) and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Additionally, InCharge Debt Solutions is accredited by the Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies and the National Foundation for Credit Counseling.
What is InCharge Debt Solutions?
InCharge Debt Solutions offers professional financial services, including housing counseling, financial literacy education initiatives, debt management programs, bankruptcy education, and credit counseling.
According to Incharge Debt Solutions, debt relief options are available for almost all types of debt, including unsecured and secured debt. However, most consumer credit counseling companies can only help with credit card debt, so if InCharge Debt Solutions can genuinely help clients with almost all types of accounts, this separates InCharge from other companies in the industry.
You may also be interested in the Top 20 Best Debt Relief Companies List for 2023.
What Type of Accounts Qualify for the InCharge Debt Solutions Program?
Numerous account types qualify for InCharge Debt Solutions programs. While federal student loans do not qualify for their program, most other accounts and loans meet the requirements stated above. Below are some accounts and debt types that qualify for InCharge Debt Solutions Debt Management Plan (DMP).
- Conventional credit card accounts: Visa, Discover, American Express
- Bank-issued card accounts: Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo
- Credit union cards: Navy Federal
- Retail and airline card accounts: Walmart, Amazon, Delta Airlines
- Gas credit cards: Exxon-Mobil, Sunoco, Shell
- Unsecured debts and personal loans
- Unsecured debt consolidation loans
- Medical debt
- Private student loans
- Payday loans
- Car title loans
- Past-due utility debt
InCharge Debt Solutions Pros
Like any debt relief or debt management program, InCharge Debt Solutions has pros and cons that should weigh into your final decision. Below are some benefits of InCharge Debt Solutions:
- Free credit counseling with certified credit counselors
- Late payments get re-aged to show “current,” and late fees can be waived after approval for a DMP plan.
- High-interest rates can be reduced.
- Clients are only responsible for one monthly payment, no matter how many creditors are enrolled in the program.
- Offers free financial literacy workshops about managing debt, budgeting, and saving
- Offers a client portal with details about your program and debt payoff amount
- Excellent credentials, including accreditations, licenses where required, and certifications.
- Offers lower service fees compared to most consumer credit counseling companies
- The program can stop creditor harassment for consumers already behind on credit card payments before enrolling.
- Most types of debt will qualify for the program
InCharge Debt Solutions Debt Relief Program Cons
InCharge Debt Solutions downsides include:
- The organization charges clients upfront, with monthly fees for a debt management plan
- In addition to these fees, creditors must be paid back in full, plus interest
- DMP plans last for close to five years, longer than a debt settlement program
- Enrollment in a consumer credit counseling program is reported on your credit report
- Clients won’t see much of a reduction in monthly payments, because monthly payments with fees on top of that are not much lower than paying the minimum monthly required on your own.
Does InCharge Debt Solutions Hurt Your Credit?
The answer to this question depends on your credit score before enrolling into the program, payment history, and other factors currently affecting your credit report. InCharge Debt Solutions could harm your credit because credit cards must be closed out after enrolling in a DMP. This can lower credit scores due to an adverse effect on credit utilization ratios. DMPs are also reported on credit reports, showing future creditors that their accounts were managed by a consumer credit counseling program in the past, which can adversely affect a person’s ability to obtain credit in the future.
However, InCharge Debt Solutions can also help improve credit scores by re-aging late payments to show current and waiving late fees. Monthly payments remain current throughout the program, and credit card balances are paid in full.
A consumer credit counseling program has less of a negative effect on a person’s credit score compared to debt settlement services because creditors continue to get paid every month. In contrast, with debt settlement, creditors don’t get paid monthly, and payments become past due, eventually getting sold to third-party collections agencies before getting settled.
Does the InCharge Debt Solutions Program Work?
Yes, we can confidently confirm that the program works very effectively. Investopedia states, “InCharge Debt Solutions has helped three million customers consolidate and pay their debts. Founded in 1997, they are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a focus on helping clients set up debt management plans.”
Another article on Fox8.com stated: “More than 4,000 InCharge clients paid off their credit card debt in full in 2021, a recent record. In addition, inCharge clients paid off $117 million of credit card debt last year.”
The company maintains high ratings for overall online reviews, a DMP license in all states that they operate in, and several certifications and accreditations.
The program doesn’t work if a client has a reduction in their income and they can no longer afford the monthly payment, forcing them to file for bankruptcy or cancel Incharge Debt Solutions and join a debt settlement program. For that reason, the InCharge Debt Solutions credit counselors take the time to ensure clients’ budgets properly qualify them for the program before enrolling them.
InCharge Debt Solutions may be the right option for you if you answer “YES” to any of the following questions:
- Are high-interest rates making it difficult to pay off credit card debts?
- Is your goal to pay back all your debt but with less interest?
- Are you looking to avoid adversely affecting credit scores?
- Can you afford to pay minimum payments on credit cards?
- Are you no more than two months behind on credit card payments?
- Are you looking to consolidate multiple payments into one?
How Much Does InCharge Debt Solutions Cost?
InCharge Debt Solutions clients pay their credit card debt back in full, with interest rates averaging anywhere from 8-15%.
Example of the total cost for InCharge Debt Solutions:
- The client owes: $25,000 in total credit card debt
- Monthly payment: $600 per month
- Debt-free in: four years and nine months
- Total program cost, including what creditors get paid: $34,615.38
What Does InCharge Debt Solutions Charge for Their Service Fee?
InCharge Debt Solutions charges a setup fee of approximately $75. Monthly fees, legally, can be up to $50 per month for non-profit consumer credit counseling companies. However, Incharge Debt Solutions charges only $33 per month, keeping their fees on the lower end.
Is InCharge Debt Solutions BBB Accredited?
Yes, InCharge Debt Solutions is a BBB-accredited business since 2002, with an A+ rating.
InCharge Debt Solutions has relatively high ratings and positive responses from BBB reviewers, with 14 complaints at BBB. The negative BBB reviews about InCharge Debt Solutions mainly relate to billing and advertising issues. InCharge Debt Solutions has a 3.44/5 star rating from customer reviews.
How to Cancel InCharge Debt Solutions
The InCharge Debt Solutions consumer credit counseling program is voluntary; customers can cancel anytime by contacting the team. However, canceling a debt management plan before completing it could cause damage, as the interest rate on your debt will return to its previous level after canceling the program.
Consider all your options before canceling. Many consumers that can’t afford to continue on consumer credit counseling programs will cancel and switch to debt settlement programs.
Monthly payments through InCharge Debt Solutions are not much lower than paying the minimum monthly required payment on your own. With their fees added on top of that, clients won’t see much of a reduction in monthly payments.
NoMoreCreditCards.com is a valuable resource for finding reviews for credit and debt relief companies. NoMoreCreditCards.com does its best to provide factual and truthful information to help the public by giving honest debt relief, settlement, and consolidation reviews. Please contact us at Info@NoMoreCreditCards.com if you have questions or believe any of the information on this page is inaccurate.
Always do your own research. Do not rely solely on the information provided on this page. We are not responsible for the results of any program you choose to join. Instead, check multiple sources for InCharge Debt Solutions reviews and complaints, including your state’s AG office, the FTC, and BBB.